Monday, December 17, 2012

Early Warming?


It is totally amazing to me that I had roses to pick a few days ago to add to some Christmas decorations that are on my dining table.  I also noticed this morning that some trees are beginning to have small buds swelling in anticipation.  This is so frightening to me as I do think we must have some cold weather ahead.  If we do not, how odd spring will seem in early March!  Which plants will survive this change, which birds and insects will be caught off guard and flying around somewhere they should not be?

9 comments:

  1. My sisters in Oregon are still picking roses in December! Something is indeed amiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got snapdragons and a few stray roses here in
    SE Washington. We've had spring like stretches of weather the last two year in February with buds and bugs followed by a big freeze of several weeks. Does the fruit crops a lot of damage hereabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had to switch from heat to cooling twice already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s still a blustery seventy-three here in lower Alabama today making it very difficult to “feel” like it’s winter. I’ll be sitting on my hands tomorrow in silence. Catch you Wednesday. May you continue to have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I keep seeing green plants springing up and I'm concerned the buds might start coming out on the trees and then we'll get a hard frost and a true winter. Yipes!
    Beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had forsythia in bloom 10 days ago. It is 62* here today. I do love warm weather, but I know we need some cold snaps before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This morning I noticed all the plants in my garden that are beginning to peek through the soil.
    Wonder
    what kind of Winter we have in store. At the moment 62 degrees...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've not had any lingering blossoms but some of the trees and shrubs are sprouting stray buds and leaves. It's so strange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are lovely roses, though i wonder at what we have done to our world to change the seasons so...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.