Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Time is Ripe

I have developed a schizophrenic personality.

I have hated this boot and all the compromises that it has made me make.  Spring is teasing outside and I have so much gardening that has fallen behind schedule.  I have turned the corner of my living room into a cluttered office so that I can have everything within reach reducing my need to get up, but it looks so much like an old person's corner.  I can no longer just run upstairs to work on photos, but have to schedule it as part of my day so that my stair climbing is done only once.

Still and yet, I have passively enjoyed being a slug.  It is nice to make meal suggestions and get hubby to do most of the cooking (thank goodness he is a reasonably good cook) and to outline the household chores that need to be done for the week and assign myself all those chores that can be done while sitting...such a folding clothes.  It is great to give him a list of things to bring up from the basement to replenish the larder or the bathroom cleaning supplies.  It is nice to be able to say no to volunteer requests without guilt.

On this Tuesday I get another x-ray, and if the orthopedist confirms, I can take this monster off and return to a "normal" life.

One of the first priorities will be re-entering the world of exercise...I do hate that, but it is a must do or die earlier from immobility.  Dynamic change does not fit easily on one's shoulders as one ages.


12 comments:

  1. Awe, you seem to have found that silver lining:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping for good news on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how we can adapt to our circumstances!!
    Sorry change is rearing it's head again...but it's all good!! You will enjoy your freedom....!!
    Hope they will take that boot off
    You will still have to be careful for awhile...so don't start running yet. Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give the boot to the boot. (ugh) Get out there and dance around your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even without a boot to blame, I have times when I find I have unconsciously created an old person's corner. I spent last weekend un-cornering myself, and this weekend I hope to do a little rearranging to help me avoid a repeat!

    I'm glad there is a light at the end of the boot! Keeping my fingers crossed for a good x-ray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting moving after an accident or illness is a big, necessary job. It really surprised me how fast a body weakens without use. Hope your boot comes off next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure it's hard to depend on others and plan your trips around the house. I hate the thought of being dependant on others. Hope your boot comes off soon and you can regain your independence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping my fingers crossed too for Tuesday. And for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck Tuesday in getting rid of the "The Boot"... I'm sure once you get moving again there'll be no stopping you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope that the result of X-ray is good and you can say good-by to the very helpful but annoying boot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping the boot comes off.
    Will be sending positive thoughts
    your way.
    Spring is arriving, be patient,
    I know you will be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found after all those weeks of being sedentary with the cold, it was really hard to build up strength again. I'm better now.

    Can you come up. We seem to have found ourselves in a social whirlwind in DC, but I very much want to see you if only for lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.