Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Little Corner


When I built this expensive house (while I am not part of the 1% I did save substantial money by living overseas for several years) I knew that I would probably want space for a few indoor plants.  I included a corner at the end of my kitchen that had a strip of tile next to the wooden floor for protection.  The windows in that corner do not have the glaze on them that filters full sunlight and protects objects from fading.  These windows while double glazed are just plain windows.  They face the Southwest side so that my plants get plenty of winter sun.  In a few weeks when the dangers of very cold nights are gone most of these plants will head outside.  The amaryllis will be done blooming and will be tucked away in a place below the deck but near my patio where they will remain unnoticed until I bring them in for a dormant period in mid-October.  They are removed from their pots, the soil shaken away and the bulbs put in black garbage bags and kept in the coldest part of my basement until January where I start the process all over again.  This year because of my ankle injury I was going to abandon them totally, but hubby generously planted them out and while I would have selected other pots, he did a good job as I have beauteous blooms this time of year.  (I still have the other tropical bulbs in the basement waiting for freedom!)

The tiny tree in the middle on the top shelf is my calamondin lime tree.  I replaced it last year as the one I had purchased a few years ago was stressed in some way and the roots never grew.  The other large tree on the right is my kaffir lime tree.  One of the most interesting plants.  I use both the limes and the leaves in Asian cooking.  It does need full sun through the winter and is somewhat temperamental, but you can see it is going to overtake the space.  In the late spring it goes out on the deck.  I protect it with cloth for a few days so it can adjust to the more intense light, but it eventually adapts and enjoys the summer months.

The jasmine in the white pot was a sale purchase for about $4.00 and looked really sad until I revived it.  I don't think the little white blooms are fragrant enough unless you really get close, so it may be a sale item for the Master Gardeners plants sale this spring.

The ugly grasses are lemon grass which my husband insisted on wintering over.  I find that cooking with lemon grass is a real challenge as ones that grow in this climate are tough and not as flavorful as they are in the tropics.  These two will go outside into the garden next month and they will take off like gang busters, but I am still lobbying for their demise in the fall.

The lime green pot contains a geranium.  They are easy to purchase new in the spring, but I always save at least one for the winter months and pinch it heavily to keep it from being too spindly.

Hidden in the back on the bottom shelf are my succulents.  They survive very well if ignored.  They will go outside soon.  Then this corner might return to an area for a summer buffet table.  (You know, like on Downton Abbey...a side board where hot breakfast waits for guests...yes, I am joking here.)

20 comments:

  1. That is a very nice corner, Tabor. I do not have such a corner for my plants. During winter, they cluster around the windows with light. They've done very well this winter, and I think I need to write down which windows gave which plants the will to pull through! Geraniums, which usually struggle, have bloomed all winter and have grown by 8-10 inches. In another month or so, I will be able to move many of them to my deck. I will be happy. They will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could very easily fall in love with 'your little corner'---I'm in awe of those of you who can dream and incorporate that dream into a house. :) Lovely lovely room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, colorful corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. I can't have plants inside because we have 3 cats and they tip over anything with a scent. But thank you for sharing your beautiful spot of color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, I can only dream of such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an orange tree which lives in the conservatory in summer. at the moment its leaves are sticky and unsightly, I must really get the methylated spirit out and clean it off. That's the problem with citrus plants, they suffer terribly with sap sucking insects.

    I am looking forward to getting everything outside for summer. In winter the conservatory is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was great that you were able to plan for such a great place for indoor plants. The flowers are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous reds in your little corner. Interesting learning about your lime trees. I'd like to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful oasis you have created.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have a sunny corner window like this, but alas, I do not. So many trees here! Not that I'm complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good job you did in designing your dream home! I see the water beyond your yard and your deck. It must be very peaceful.

    Your garden corner is beautiful; also well planned with just the right plants for scenery and usefulness. Having tile under your plants - good thinking.

    A gardener, gourmet cook, writer... aren't you the talented one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, considering your affinity for limes, you'll like my post today.

    I have a potted grapefruit tree, which I began growing from a seed last year. I think I posted about it before, but I'll have to do an update once it moves back outside in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful
    Beautiful
    In the past I had similar - but
    In this little cottage I built over 2 years ago - there is no sunny corner like this.
    Now, I sit a few plants on my chopblock by the window.
    I could pull up my rocking chair and sit there and read or just sit and not think :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just georgeous, and the foot?

    I did post a reply and only now realized that it might not get read. Yes, lunch in DC if you can make it. :) Please.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful room, Tabor. Such light!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful corner you have!!
    I can feel your love toward flowers and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No email today.
    Just succulents out on my deck right now. 60 in the sun. Brrr...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh lovely! And a buffet would fit perfectly - do you need a maid to serve breakfast (and then take the rest of the day off to loll on that deck, keeping an eye on those plants?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to have a large, open corner for plants like that- Nery nice.
    I like green Tea made from Lemon grass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely corner you have! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.