Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Repaired

Middle class folks such as those of my household do not often ask for help on big projects from our neighbors.   In an agrarian society, barn building is a community event and fixing the old tractor can be done with the help of a neighbor or two.  As we earn more money, we become more isolated and less likely to ask for help.  Big projects we contract out and smaller projects fall by the wayside.  For example, I live in a rather fancy neighborhood where many of my neighbors hire landscape firms to take care of their large lawn and most have housekeepers.  My hubby is certainly not the handy type, and for now, I do my own housekeeping.

Yesterday I went to toast an English muffin in my upper middle class Krups toaster oven and when I removed the muffin, it was only slightly warm.  Hmmm?  I pushed the toaster button once again and after a time when the rods did not turn red, I realized something was wrong with this expensive 3-year-old appliance.  I checked the outlet, the fuse, and the plug.  The toaster itself was sealed like Tutankhamen's tomb and would require a dedicated electrician to disassemble for further investigation.

By mid-morning I had convinced myself we had to purchase a new toaster and headed out to the nearest store for this appliance. We purchased a model that was half the price and a less well known brand.  Once I got the box home and placed it on the counter a belated epiphany hit me.  I turned to my husband and told him that whatever was wrong with this old toaster/oven...it was something minor.  I just knew.  Maybe there was a fuse inside that had burned out?  I looked at the back with its dozen screws and then remembered that we had a neighbor who owned a rental farm and did all the appliance repair for his tenants.  He seemed to enjoy the challenge.  He was a very nice dude and so we decided to ask.

Well, it took him an hour, mostly spent taking it apart and putting it together.   He had guessed the problem even before removing the back and bottom as he had the same toaster/oven.  He said that the connector for the wires was usually flimsy and burned through over time.  He did not have a connector but had some electrical crimps which he used and now I have a perfectly good toaster and am planning a thank you dinner with neighbors sometime soon.  He lives in a very nice house but that does not seem to have made him brain or energy dead even though he is well into his 70's.

I often wish I had a talent that someone could use. I have sent some of my photo files to friends for wall deco, and have advised about plants, but I really wish I could do something more concrete in terms of being a plus in society...maybe some day.  My dad was an excellent handyman and my two brothers who live far away shine in that area as well.  I raise a wine glass to all those handymen who save the lives of us useless folks every day!

14 comments:

  1. Interesting that you would post this today. I am awaiting the refrigerator repairman. It is the absolute most painful wait my dear spouse has ever made. He does not like having to call for help when he is known as quite the handyman and can usually fix anything. Because of his illness and because this fridge has a computer board in it, we had to search diligently for anyone near us who could do the work. They have to come from quite a distance so the service call is expensive. And Ron will not even be able to supervise the work they do. Yikes! Meanwhile we do have the most friendly and helpful neighbors and they will do whatever they can to help mainly because Ron had dropped everything to help each of them with something in the past. When I lived in town, I didn't even know my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am awaiting the man who will install our new cooktop (as soon as I buy one). He has to measure the opening on the old one, so that I can be sure the new one will fit without any carpentry.

    Were I you, I would take a lovely potted plant to the man who fixed your Krups - or maybe some foods from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us have different talents to share. Mine is repairing things around the homestead. Landscaping, crafting, repairing I can handle, but then I can't cook worth a darn...
    One of your talents is friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo talents look quite good to me. As for myself I can do some house repairs but mainly seem to be the child watcher and taxi these days, doing things I couldb't do when I was a working mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many times have I been saved so much time and effort by kind souls like your helpful neighbour. And having received their help, I have had the same wish that you had - wish I could be more helpful to people around me with my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I await an appliance repairman to fix the door on our oven; there was a week and a half wait for the 1st available appointment. I wish I could do it myself. On balance though, if I had to choose between knowing how to fix the oven or how to use it I guess I'd rather know how to use it. At least I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does the help need to be in the handyperson category? How about cooking for someone who is ill, offering to dog walk for someone who has an arthritic joint, doing the shopping for someone whose car is off the road, sitting with someone who can't get out of the house and needs a bit of diversion.

    Those are the the things we do in our village; we are mostly middle-class, reasonably comfortably off, mostly retired, fit and able-bodied. But sometimes we need a helping hand, and at times that turns out to be a favour returned, like fixing a computer or a toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes wish the same thing - but, you'll cook a nice dinner and that's a talent for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you're looking for a creative place that has some value to it for others.
    Your life sounds interesting, and rather different from mine.
    Given time, you will find it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can handle some stuff, n not others- I've re-wired a few lamp cords, n learned to solder circuit boards at one job- Some cat stuff I've done also, tho not recently.
    I have to do everything at this house. Yard, gutters, n I work FT.
    Every yea I take apart n clean the fans- good thing cause here comes 90s heat-
    I used to repair outboards when I was younger- but it injured my hands. Now repeditive motion does that at work!

    I couldn't open comments at post below!
    My daughter MB (Blond Chick) tests well water for the state n knows about that testing stuff! Chiggers-yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes typos! NOT CAT "car stuff"! as in repairs- n Outboard boat motors- Really!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that party you're having will probably give you hints on how to be of help to your community.

    cheers to all the handymen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm certain you have very great talents that aid many. I'm not the handy type myself. Always surprise myself when I find the clog in the vacuum or tweak something just right and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You blog and we love you. See, there's something you do for society. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.