Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Diet

My husband has been gone for several days on a business 'junket' to Hawaii. I have eaten all the leftovers that were sitting in the refrigerator from the meals I had cooked before he left. Yesterday I finally went food shopping. When my husband is gone I tend to ignore meal times and just graze throughout the day when I feel hungry. Grazing may sound healthy but I decided to list in order what I ate yesterday as I ran around doing stuff just to remind myself of something---like my lack of self-discipline.

1/2 blueberry muffin
2 cups of coffee with cream and sugar
1 banana milk shake (to use up some coffee ice cream while cleaning out the freezer before shopping)
1 small yogurt (just past its due date)
A roast chicken leg and thigh (from a whole roasted chicken I purchased at the grocery store and tore into while still warm)
1 chocolate covered and filled Bismark doughnut (ditto as immediately above---I did only buy two doughnuts to my credit)
A glass of club soda
8 strawberries (from the garden that I picked while weeding)
2 pieces of dark chocolate (to reward my garden weeding work)
1 glass of red wine
1 piece of string cheese followed closely by a piece of blue cheese
2 Pepperidge farm cookies
1 ham sandwich with lettuce and tomato and mayonnaise
A handful of peanuts
2 cups of tea
2 more Pepperidge farm cookies

He better get home soon or he will not recognize me!

11 comments:

  1. well, your busy activities will keep the metabolism up and keep the fat away. this is when it pays heavily that you are so active and always moving - you can eat what you want and not suffer so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smile because being solo I graze most of the time. Eat a little less then you do - but I still graze. One of the most difficult things for me is cooking. For one it is hardly worth it. Keep grazing and by reading your post you are staying super busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy! That's my favorite diet. If it wasn't for hubby's love of dinner there would probably never be a real meal in this house except for company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good exercise .. to write down everything I munch on during the day. I suspect it would read quite differently the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a fellow "grazer"....I totally understand! Last night I ate popcorn for dinner while watching American Idol.

    Now, when Dave is here things change and I tend to eat a little more sensibly...but, it's not nearly as much fun. : )

    Have a nice day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the same thing when mr. kenju is not home, but my grazing usually consists of eggs in some form - or fish - which he doesn't eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so relieved to find that I am not the only grazer. The most cooking I do is popping a Lean Cuisine in the microwave and popcorn is a regular on my diet.

    My daily multivitamin may not be the best way to get nutrients, but it keeps me from feeling so guilty about my bad diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bismark! I haven't had one of those in ages. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's 11 PM and I just ate three slices of chicken jalapeno pizza. So, who am I to judge?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL sounds like just my kind of diet!! :) Enjoy while you can--he'll be home soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I graze when I'm all by myself. Food is much tastier if shared with someone else. :)

    Love your list. I've been eating strawberry-flavored yogurt a lot this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.