Sunday, September 17, 2006

You Can Never Be Too Thin or Too Rich

And THIS just in from London and THIS just in from Spain and THIS just in from Milan, the fashion capital of the world.

I knew that I shouldn't beat myself up for that extra little role above my slacks yesterday, and now it has been confirmed by fashionistas (the people who rule the clothing world) that I should be striving for a healthy body and not a size 0. I never was able to wear a size zero in my earliest of days anyway. My daughter wore that size when she was 18 and now that she is over 30 and has one child she is up to a size 4-6. She runs around like a chicken with her head cut off, so I know she gets plenty of exercise. Lifting Xman 20 times a days should count for something. And all that bending and clearing of floor areas is better than touching toes. Ands she has the cutest little figure in spite of her size increase.

I still want better proportion for myself and need to get rid of that pudgy middle which contrasts so well with my thin arms and legs. Some days I think I look like a woman who is malnurished rather than overfed.
I have learned that 100 sit-ups a day for weeks will not work. It does give you excellent back and abdominal strength for standing tall and removing lower back pain, though.

More aeorobics and less food. This is my mantra before I leave for my trip with my daughter to Italy at the end of the month. (Geese, have you SEEN how stylish those Italian women in Italy look while walking down the street...including those in their 60's and 70's? No wonder they set the standard for style and weight.)


10 comments:

  1. A colleague is just back from a walking holiday in the Appenines, and she reports that Italian women look so elegant and trim. And pay so much attention to their looks. There are shops just selling sunglasses. She agreed that they looks stylish into old age, and she felt frumpish and fat! (but isnt of course) So beware the dangers of comparisions. Therein lies samsara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I included this photo I took during a visit to Murano a few years ago. Just to remind myself that Italians are human and don't all look like they stepped off the runway. Something about this body language in the photo looks so comfortable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, guess what other country has shops that just sell sunglasses? We even have stores that just sell candles, stores that just sell athletic shoes and stores that just sell chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My personal favorite? Stores that just sell mysteries. I have shopped in one in Portland and one in San Francisco. Now if I could just find a store that just sold laughter, I'd be set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The body language to me says "No, you go in first!"

    No, really. Her headband matches her bag and her shoes match, too. She's lovely.

    Love the flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that story in the news too. I don't think I've been a size zero since I was maybe 7 months old, haha!
    Have a lovely vacation, I hope you are going to post lots of photos. And do some Italy haiku. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:12 AM

    I've been enjoying the new show with Julia Dreyfes...Old Chrisitine. In one scene her new boyfriend was kissing her out on the porch and then asked if they could go in and sit down...and she answered... No, I if we sit down I'll get one of those rolls on my stomache...or something...I KNEW what she meant...my husband didn't.

    I love the photo and envy you for going to Italy. I'll be settling for Nags Head soon.

    The size 0 thing scares me. I never knew there was such a size until recently. I don't like the metaphor it implies. I'm a size 6 body with a size 8 top and size 10 waist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have your figure but if we wear the right clothes we can balance it all out :) I'm envious but thrilled for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have been a size six forty years ago, but I certainly am not that size now. With the weather turning cooler, I have taken out my runners am taking long daily walking "constitutionals" through the village during the week and the Lanark hills on weekends. I DO like the idea of paying a little more attention to one's presentation of self when out and about - European women always seem to have their act together. Is there a store somewhere which sells mindfulness and peace of mind?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:31 PM

    Tabor ---From what I read those models are striving not for size 0 but for size 00.

    I envy you your trip to Italy. We went a number of years ago to Florence and Portofino. Both wonderful. In Portofino we stayed at the Hotel Splendido. Ahhhh.

    When I am reincarnated ;) I want to come back as an Italian. So carefree and the language is lovely and the food is scrumptious, and that spectacular scenery.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.