Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Twin Owls (Link)



Granite prominence
Timeworn by winter storms
Twin owls weather again


Many people watched the Stephen King movie with Jack Nicholson titled "The Shining" which was produced in 1980. While I have tremendous respect for Mr. King's writing talent I am not a big fan of his genre. Anyway what do Stephen King and the photo above have in common? The photo is a rock promontory called twin owls outside of Estes Park, Colorado and it rests above the Stanley Hotel which was the hotel used in the movie. The reason I have posted this photo is because it was a scene which I knew well. One of my girlfriends in elementary school had a father that managed that hotel. We got to play many an afternoon in that place which seemed enormous to me at the time. By today's standards it is not a very large hotel. We played in the pantry, the kitchen and the downstairs hallways. Today I am amazed that we were allowed to do that. Maybe nobody knew. It was winter and the season had slowed, so the hotel was not very busy as I recall.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you played in THAT hotel when you were young. Wow! That is freaky. I like about five of King's stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh....the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.