Sunday, March 13, 2005

What's a Four Letter Word to Alleviate Pain?

I haven't posted to the Weekly Wino in some time. What with hubby on strong meds I guess only one of us can safely feel no pain at this time. Maybe I should change the name to Weakly Wino. What do you think?

I have been spending lots of time upstairs sitting or laying in bed next to hubby. He is doing very well, but since he has the personality and energy level of the Energizer Bunny, I can see that he is not anywhere near his usual self yet. He moves stiffly and if he sits up for more than 10 or fifteen minutes the pain starts to increase. Yet he will walk around the room for 10 minutes at a time when he can.

Friends and co-workers have sent flowers and plants and they are now taking up so much space, my son knocked one of them over yesterday. The flowers really boost hubby's spirits though.

Talking him into his second shower this morning took some effort. He is so frustrated in that the pain medication and the tranquilizer cut down on muscle spasms. When I asked him how he was feeling yesterday, he joked, "Just great...I can't swallow, I can't pee and I can't shit. Other than that I am fine." He doesn't swear, so I knew the drugs were working.

I am trying to keep busy doing short projects around the hosue so that I can keep checking on him. I don't want him moving around unless I am there to keep an eye on his progress. These drugs are really strong.

I am calling the doctor tomorrow on what we can do this coming week to get him up and going. I cannot believe that he is planning a business trip to Hawaii in a month!

3 comments:

  1. Here's to a quick recovery! Hopefully he'll be much better in a month's time - gosh, a trip to Hawaii (even though it's business) would definitely be a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, yes, a trip to hawai'i would be a nice treat, wouldn't it? I hope that all goes well and that your husband's health continues to improve. He's lucky to have you there for him! (I hope he knows that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first trip to Hawaii was for graduate school. Traveling from Colorado, I remember the first time I saw a palm tree from the plane's window and about jumped out of my seat! The people next to me thought I was a nut, I am sure. Both of you remind me of that enthusiasm. I will try to not be so jaded!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.